A series of conversations with Assemblymember Tasha Boerner Horvath, the To Be Honest with Assemblymember Tasha Boerner Horvath podcast will keep you up to date with her work in Sacramento and how it affects the 76th Assembly District which includes Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista and Camp Pendleton.
SEASON 2: Tele-Town Hall Discussions:
- Dr. Sujana Gunta • Director of Pediatric Services Vista Community Clinic
- Dr. Sarah Fatland • Chief Medical Officer, Vista Community Clinic
- Arcela Nuñes Alvarez • Executive Director, Universidad Popular
- Donna San Miguel | CSUSM Executive Director of Recruitment & Outreach
- Edwin Chikukwa | California Student Aid Commission Cash for College Program
Discussion with Speaker Anthony Rendon's Office about Serving on State Board & Commissions (Thursday, October 29, 2020)
Have you ever thought about serving the public on a state commission or board? Whether it's clean air, public lands, jobs, or even a profession like dentistry, there are all kinds of opportunities to help make an impact on a variety of issues, gain professional experience, and serve the public.
I partnered with the Office of Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon and some current members of state boards and commissions to host a panel discussion on everything you need to know about serving on a commission or a board.
I hosted a tele-town hall discussion on child and adolescent wellness in the context of the impacts of COVID-19 with Kelly Motadel MD, MPH, our Child Health Officer for the County of San Diego.
The discussion touched on many common questions and concerns parents have on their child’s wellness and how it impacts their growth, their resiliency, and the health of their caregivers as well. Our discussion offers parents, guardians, and caregivers some tips and strategies for how to support children’s mental and physical well-being during this time.
I hosted a tele-town hall discussion with the Presidents of MiraCosta Community College and Cal State San Marcos. I was pleased to be joined by:
- Dr. Sunita Cooke, Ph.D. | President of MiraCosta Community College District
- Dr. Ellen J. Neufeldt, Ed.D. | President of California State University San Maros
I hosted a tele-town hall discussion with two county public officials about San Diego County’s T3 strategy of Test, Trace, and Treat for combating the spread of COVID-19 and strategies are being used to contain the virus at this point in the pandemic. I was pleased to be joined by:
I hosted a tele-town hall discussion with Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara about resources available to small businesses during the pandemic and insurance-related issues. Our discussion went in depth on how businesses can access relief and strategies for navigating the difficulties of this pandemic economy.
- Ricardo Lara | California Insurance Commissioner
- Jamye Pritchett Solorzano | Economic Development Specialist, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Xiomara Peña | California Program Director, Small Business Majority
I hosted a tele-town hall discussion about Wildfire Preparedness & Emergency Planning. Our discussion went in depth on the dangers of fire season in North County and what you can do to make sure you household is prepared. I was joined by some experts in fire safety and emergency response as well as a representative from San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E). We touched on the issues of Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS) and how these events may be complicated by factors realted to the ongoing pandemic.
I hosted a tele-town hall about workforce training & certification programs and their increasingly important role in an adaptive COVID-19 economy.
I hosted a teleconference town hall discussion with Secretary of State Alex Padilla and two local census professionals about the status of the 2020 Census and the ongoing impacts of COVID-19 on the get-out-the-count effort. Topics covered will included what’s at stake for California in this year’s census, why a complete count is important to ensuring North County San Diego gets its fair share of resources, and how census methods have been adapted during the pandemic. I was pleased to be joined by:
- Alex Padilla | California Secretary of State
- Connie Hernandez | Regional Program Manager for Region 10, San Diego & Imperial Counties
- Dr. Arcela Nuñez-Alvarez | Co-Founder/Co-Director, Universidad Popular
I hosted a teleconference town hall discussion about COVID-19 scams with San Diego District Attorney Summer Stephan and Deputy DA Brendan McHugh.
We talked about social security and IRS scams, price gouging, phishing e-mails, and other common types of financial fraud to look out for. We'll also talked about the sure signs of fraud and where you can report fraudulent activity if you believe you may have been the victim of one of these attempts.
- Tony Thurmond | California State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Colleen Hervey | President, Ninth District PTA
- Kristina Hohmann | Education Specialist, Oceanside Unified School District
- Dr. Anne Bird | Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist, UCSD Health
I hosted a teleconference town hall discussion with some experts about what our county, state, and local organizations are doing to help older adults maintain both mental and physical well-being during this period of change and uncertainty. I was joined by:
I hosted a teleconference town hall focusing on all of the various forms of financial relief available to our North County small businesses at this time. My guests offered their expertise and answered questions about small business assistance during this crisis. I was joined by:
- Congressman Mike Levin
- California State Treasurer Fiona Ma
- Daniel Fitzgerald | Associate Regional Director, San Diego & Imperial SBDC Network
I moderated a conversation with a panel of local San Diego County public health and medical professionals about the latest medical advice on the coronavirus and what we can all do to stay healthy. My panel of experts included:
- Dr. William T. Tseng, AAMD Kaiser Permanente
- Dr. David Folsom, MD from UC San Diego Health
- Caroline Smith from the County Office of Strategy & Intergovernmental Affairs
On this debut episode of To Be Honest with Assemblymember Tasha Boerner Horvath, she sits down for an interview with her children Máté and Maya Kate to discuss her first months in office and her priorities for Assembly District 76.
Assemblymember Tasha Boerner Horvath discusses legislation that would codify equal pay for female and male athletes that compete in CA with Kim Woozy, director of Bay Area chapter of Skate Like a Girl, and Kathryn Bertine, former professional cyclist and founder of the Homestretch Foundation. Both women testified before the Senate for this “equal pay for equal play” measure.